Bethel AME Church

For over two hundred years, the African Methodist Episcopal Church has played a pivotal role in the history of the United States. Therefore, it’s easy to see how the Bethel AME Church has played a similar role to the Kennett community. The church was originally founded in 1890 at the corner of Cypress and Broad Streets and has been at its current location on East Linden Street since the summer of 1895. The building has been renovated and expanded through the decades, but its mission of community involvement and educational empowerment has not waned. In 1977, Reverend George McMilliam established Kennett Youth Development and in the past few decades, the church has sponsored the Study Buddies after-school program, which has aided the efforts of many KCSD students. We’re proud to celebrate this rich part of our community’s history.