In March 2017, the Pennsylvania Department of Health amended its regulations regarding school immunizations. These regulations take effect August 1, 2017 and will impact students for the 2017-2018 school year. The amendments will affect many students in the Kennett Consolidated School District and any student who is not in compliance by August 28, 2017 will face exclusion.
Changes taking effect:
- The deadline for immunization verification is now the first day of the 2017-2018 school year, August 28th 2017. Previously, school administrators could work with students and families until well into the school year before a student faced exclusion. This is no longer the case. Any student who has not provided proof of immunization by August 28, 2017 will face exclusion.
- All students need 4 doses of the polio vaccine, with the 4th dose AFTER their 4th birthday and at least 6 months after previous polio vaccine. This amendment could affect students of any grade.
- For students entering the 7th grade, vaccinations remain the same (Tdap & Meningitis Vaccines), but are now subject to the new deadline of August 28, 2017.
- Seniors in the 2017-2018 school year will now need a meningitis vaccine by August 28, 2017. This is the second of two meningitis vaccines that are required for students.
This month, letters were mailed to the parents/guardians of students who need vaccines prior to August 28th. If you have any questions regarding where your child stands, you can contact your school’s nurse before June 14.
- Bancroft Elementary – Mrs. Maureen Orlando, email@example.com or 610-925-5711
- Greenwood Elementary – Mrs. Tricia Harlan, firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-388-5993
- Mary D. Lang Kindergarten Center – Mrs. Kelly Hostetler, email@example.com or 610-444-6285
- New Garden Elementary – Ms. Patricia Body, firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-268-6903
- Kennett Middle School – Mrs. Diane Shannon, email@example.com or 610-268-5874
- Kennett High School – Mrs. Kathleen Eginton, firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-444-6615 OR Mrs. Jane Heemer, email@example.com or 610-444-6615
After June 14, if you have any questions, please contact Diane Shannon, RNC, MSN, School Health Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not have access to health insurance, immunizations can be obtained at the Chester County Health Department.
Walk-In Immunization Clinics are Tuesdays 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Wednesdays 12 noon – 6 p.m. with no appointment necessary. However, you must bring your immunization records.
601 Westtown Road
West Chester, PA 19380
Again, any student who is not up to date by August 28, 2017 will face exclusion.